Federación Española de Asociaciones
de Amigos del Camino de Santiago
The Spanish Federation of Associations of the Friends of the Camino de Santiago is formed by an important group of Associations, distributed by almost all the Autonomous Communities of the Spanish State.
The first steps of our Federation were taken in 1987, when the then existing associations organized in Jaca (23-26 September 1987) the first International Congress of Jacobean Associations, and from that moment on they decided to join their efforts in a common organization: first (23 October 1987) under the legal figure of “Coordinadora Nacional de Asociaciones de Amigos del Camino de Santiago”, and later (April 14, 1993) as the current “Federación Española de Asociaciones de Amigos del Camino de Santiago”.
The Federation and the Associations of Friends of the Camino de Santiago that constitute it, are non-profit institutions and represent a meritorious effort of private initiatives embarked on the recovery of the pilgrimage to Compostela and the many Ways of St. James that run through Spain.
- Information and support for pilgrims
- Creation of the figure of the “Volunteer Hospitalero”.
- Organization and management of Volunteer Hospitalers
- Attention and collaboration with institutions
- Organization, administration and management of facilities
- Recovery of the Pilgrims’ Roads to Santiago
- Organization and management of volunteer personnel
- Actions before organizations and institutions
- Studies, research and publications on the historical and cultural aspects of the Camino and its surroundings.
- Promotion of any type of cultural activities
- Relations with persons, institutions or organizations of a national or regional nature
- Collaboration with how many civil or ecclesiastical entities
- Publishing of Jacobean publications of any kind and by any means
- Edition of Peregrino Magazine since 1987
At our headquarters, an Information Office is open in the mornings throughout the year; this office is complemented by others that are only open during the summer season and in places with the greatest number of pilgrims, thanks to the collaboration between the Federation and the Associations, and the sponsorship of the Ministry of Culture and other institutions.